Preparing for your Lake Property Search
When preparing for your Lake Home search you will want to start with the basics:
- How far are you willing to travel from home?
- What type of Lake do you want? All Sports, No Wake, Spring Fed
- Basic House requirements – # bedrooms and # baths, age of house?
- What type of Lot are you looking for – a level lot – or one on a hill?
- What type of lake frontage? Deep Water, Sandy Beach, etc.
When shopping for a lake home in Southwest Michigan, it is very important to understand how property taxes work. The property taxes that you see on the MLS listing are not property taxes that you will pay. It is very important to look at the current State Equalized Value SEV to calculate what your property taxes will be. If you are shopping for a lake home and don’t understand how this works, feel free to contact me Paul DeLano (269) 445-8877
A quick way to estimate property taxes is to take the sales price *50% and enter that in the property tax calculator.